If you made it here, you very likely met me at Barry Schwartz’s class at PCC. (If not, it is possible you stumbled on this accidentally, searching for “YouTube cat videos“, but only if you are an incredibly bad speller.)
Create ONE .PSD (or other image program) file with template for Facebook timeline cover photo and profile photo. Use this to start playing with cool combinations of images, and change it up frequently. Or skip this step, and commit to changing your cover/profile photo combo on a weekly, biweekly, or monthly basis.
Pick TWO social media outlets to concentrate on over the next month. Remember, to do this, you’re going to need to do some research: where are your Exact Perfect People hanging out? Do you know the “language” of this space? Do you enjoy learning/speaking it? In order to work, both of these need to be in place!
Acquire THREE business cards for every ONE you hand out. If you like, think of this as your assignment for the next THREE months (because we want to reinforce the THREE thing). But feel free to use this rule forever and a day, amen. Remember: you are always (ALWAYS) better off getting other people’s cards than giving them yours (provided they are giving them to you freely, naturally).
Choose FOUR greeting/postcards that will rock the freakin’ world of FOUR people you know/like/respect, and mail them out. If you already have a super-groovy mailer of your own, great. If not, find cards that are perfect for each individual person, that somehow reflect you and your vibe, include a sentiment that’s meaningful to you both, and mail ’em! I KNOW. Soooooo hard. But not compared to curing cancer, solving world peace, or even cleaning toilets at a dive bar, so hey, count your blessings!
Photographers featured (not necessarily in order shown)
- Real Life Weddings, Fine Art Wedding Photography
- Steven E. Gross, Portraits, Editorial, Events
- Luke Copping, Portraits, Environmental Portraits
- P2, Alternative Energy, Environmental Portraits
- Karl Herber, Alternative Commercial Photography, Photo Tech Services
- Kaveh Sardari, Portraits & Events
- Sophia Bayly and Si Moore (Bayly & Moore), stop-motion wedding photography & music videos
Other awesome people featured
- parlato design studios :: brand, identity, marketing-focused design
- Joanna Holden/Modular Ink :: design studio
- Chris Guillebeau :: Writer, Traveler, World Dominator (and examplar of Doing It Right)
- Conrad Winter :: copywriter (and Righteous Formula Example)
- Adam Lisagor/Sandwich Video :: videos for neat tech products!
Resources/goodies & info
- Field Notes Brand pocket notebooks [customize with rubber stamp]
- Scout Books pocket notebooks [customizable with large order]
Resources/people to learn from
- Seth Godin :: permission marketing genius, publishing innovator
- Bob Lefsetz/The Lefsetz Letter :: former music industry exec
- Daphne Gray-Grant :: writing coach with great advice & tips for people who hate writing
Books on marketing, branding, etc. I have found useful
Note!: I use Amazon affiliate links on my blog to help keep the lights on. Full disclosure is righteous, baby!
- ASMP Guide to New Markets in Photography, edited by Susan Carr*
- Influence: The Power of Persuasion, by Robert Cialdini [review]
- Trust Agents, by Chris Brogan & Julien Smith [review]
- Tribes, by Seth Godin [review]
- Platform, by Michael Hyatt
- Design Is a Job, by Mike Monteiro [review]
- The Elements of Content Strategy, by Erin Kissane
- Branding Only Works on Cattle, by Jonathan Baskin [review| interview]
*If you buy one book, buy this one. It’s really well laid out and written—thanks mostly to our editor, the late and very much lamented Susan Carr—covers all the ground you need in a short time, and includes a bunch of really helpful case studies at the end of the book by your friend and mine, Barry Schwartz.
The poem that (sort of) started it all
* * * * *
If there are any resources I’ve inadvertently left off, please email me at colleen AT communicatrix. THANK YOU, and happy marketing!