An entire year with nary a post save one, at the very end? O, how the bright-eyed girl of 43 who was posting multiple times per day in 2004 would have laughed had you told her this!
Without further ado, we continue this new twist on a 10-year-old tradition with 53 things I learned this year—one thing for each year I am old.
What will the new year bring? What won’t it, amirite?
- Hair we go again.
- What I really need is so much better than what I think I do.
- They have that 110-lb. Blood-Donor Rule for a reason.
- Giving talks is still fun.
- But not as much fun as watching people get it.
- Dogs will change your life.
- And, sometimes, your livelihood.
- And always, your capacity to be patient.
- Take the f*cking donuts.
- Releasing books almost beats reading them.
- Helping your friends make jam is the new helping your friends make quilts.
- There’s a difference between not doing something wrong and seeking to do things right.
- It’s all the difference.
- William Trevor is dark in the good way.
- An evening’s walk in the desert is as relaxing as a week’s stay in many places.
- Vegas, however….
- You never know where your next pen pal may come from.
- Accidents make the best popsicles.
- Theater is one of the smartest things I can say “yes” to.
- Especially as it yields hidden treasures.
- Cleaning ladies earn every cent of their money.
- My new-favorite blogs are all newsletters.
- I am absolutely, positively not a copywriter.
- For hire.
- Making art feels like making love—to yourself.
- And you don’t need a nap afterward.
- Although naps are awesome!
- Cauliflower is God’s gift to the gut-afflicted.
- All the juices just wish they were watermelon & lime juice.
- I am adjacent to too much love and greatness not to have done something right.
- Spas are not actually torture chambers.
- Just when you’ve given up hope, a savior appears.
- And I’m not talking about Angelina Jolie.
- Although she is awesome!
- Just when you thought you knew everything, bacon in the oven!
- I finally get that Chinese saying about being responsible for the life you save.
- I also finally get why giving is better.
- Especially when you don’t feel like it.
- Nobody wants a bald chick on their jury panel.
- Su-u-uddenly, Scanpan.
- If Rob Brezsny didn’t exist, we’d have to forecast him.
- You do not have to have hair like a girl to dress like one.
- I do not miss auditioning.
- I always miss acting.
- It’s a good thing zoodles are not on the side of evil.
- It may take 43 years, but one can resuscitate a love of dorky holiday traditions.
- My sister was raised right.
- The first step in getting to the Beverly Center is knowing where you are right now.
- The best day to write is everyday.
- The best day to start doing it is today.
- Or the today that was your 53rd birthday.
- Eyeball beans really do make for a better 12 months.
- Eventually, even your crickity YouTube video will be legitimized by a #TBT.
Stay tuned for more, if you like. Happy new year, either way!