A mostly monthly but forever occasional round-up of what I’ve been up to and what I plan to be. For full credits and details, see this entry.
Colleen of the future (places I’ll be)
- October L.A. Biznik Mixer at Jerry’s Famous [Los Angeles], Finally, I’m ba-a-a-ck from all my travels, and ready to rock some networking, L.A.-style. If you haven’t been, Biznik events are networking the way God intended, non-sucky, with none of the usual shovery of cards in people’s faces uninvited. Join up here (free membership, which is nice), then sign up here.
- Teaching some kind of “non-awful mastery of the web for your creative and promotional purposes” class at w o r d s p a c e [Los Angeles] , I co-taught a successful pilot workshop with Erin Jourdan a few months ago, and Brenda wants to do more. Sign up for the free newsletter or “like” the Facebook page to stay in the loop.
- World-Domination Summit, June 2011 [Portland, OR], Without knowing Thing #1 about the agenda, I signed on the dotted line. I’m a big Guillebeau fan from way back, and every event I’ve been to that gathers around Chris has been great. Ergo, this thing is going to rock. Small group, so you should think about getting in while you can.
Colleen of the Past (stuff I did you might not know about)
- Ignite Portland 9 , Sophomore efforts are always an order of magnitude more difficult to pull off. In my case, that thing about having your whole life to do your first album is the truth: the little talk I gave last year about liked my bloody insides was the culmination of 48 years of living, including six years of processing that crazy episode. This time, I gave a mini-acting class in five minutes. It’s not my favorite talk I’ve given, but some people were moved to submit their own talk ideas by it, and that will have to do. Plus, I learned a ton about what to do and not do, as I usually do when I fall short of my own expectations. You can click to view it, below, or if whatever device you’re reading this in won’t let you, you can stroll over to YouTube and see it here.
- L.A. Examiner interview , Brenda Spandrio, fellow enthusiast both of reading and of the wildly popular Women’s Business Socials, so enjoyed my crazy sticky-note hack, she wanted more details about it and anything else that helped me reach my 2010 goal of reading 52 books by August 16.
- Work Happy Now review , My friend Karl Staib really went above and beyond any expectations I might ever have had for how someone processes my process. His piece is complimentary, so YES, hooray and stuff. But it also sums up quite well why I try to do what I do, and how it might benefit someone else. Other than “She writes these crazy poems!” or “She swears a lot on video!”, both of which are certainly true!
- Amazon (video) book review This time, I review Cheryl Richardson’s Life Makeovers. The short of it? Some good tips and many, many phenomenal resources.
Colleen of the Present (ongoing projects)
- communicatrix | focuses My monthly newsletter devoted to the ways and means of becoming a better clearer communicator (plus a few special treats I post nowhere else). Free! (archives & sign-up)
- Act Smart! is my monthly column about marketing for actors for LA Casting, but I swear, you’ll find stuff in it that’s useful, too. Browse the archives, here.
- Internet flotsam If you suffer from a surfeit of time, you can always look for me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, StumbleUpon and delicious.